Tom Yum is a Thai soup that combines hot and sour flavours. This one gets protein from shrimp, but you can leave them out and substitute vegetable broth for a vegetarian dish.
Calories per serve: 158
Prep time: 35 mins
– 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 2¼-inch-thick slice fresh ginger
– 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
– 2 jalapenos, seeded, deribbed, and sliced
– 3 two-inch strips lime zest
– 1½ cups chopped fresh pineapple
– 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom caps
– 1 tomato, chopped
– ½ red bell pepper, seeded, deribbed and coarsley chopped
– 2 tblspns fish sauce
– 1 tspn sugar
– 8 ounces shrimp (8 medium-sized), peeled and deveined
– ¼ cup fresh lime juice
– 2 green onions, sliced
– ⅓ cup chopped fresh coriander
- Using the broad side of a knife, smash the lemongrass and ginger on a cutting board. Place lemongrass and ginger in a large saucepan and add broth, jalapenos, and lime zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Strain into a bowl and discard solids.
- Return broth to the pan and add pineapple, mushrooms, tomato, bell pepper, fish sauce and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until they are pink and cooked through, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice, green onions and coriander just before serving.
Used with permission from The 5:2 Diet Cookbook, RRP $19.99.
Available from www.exislepublishing.co.nz and wherever good books are sold.
Image / FreeDigitalPhotos.net – tiverylucky