Supplement Spotlight: Vitamin B
Feeling tired and stressed out from work? B Vitamins support energy production by helping your body convert food nutrients into energy. They also assist with mental clarity and focus, and are vital for the nervous system to function normally.
Unfortunately, these fantastic energy boosting vitamins can’t be stored by your body which means you have to consume them regularly to keep topped up. A healthy, well balanced diet that includes whole grains, lean proteins, green leafy vegetables and oily fish would normally ensure you get enough of the B group, however, food processing, extended cooking time, stress and alcohol can also destroy or reduce the availability of Vitamin B.
This means a Vitamin B supplement can be ideal if you’re feeling fatigued and a bit run down. NZ-owned natural supplements company Radiance gave us five key reasons to keep your Vitamin B levels up:
- B vitamins are not stored in the body, are easily destroyed by storing and cooking food and are also easily depleted by stress, intense exercise, coffee, alcohol and a poor diet, so they need to be taken regularly.
- B vitamins are essential for getting energy from the food you eat so that you get the most benefit from every meal.
- B vitamins are essential for nervous system function so are great for supporting healthy mood and brain function. Your colleagues and family will thank you!
- B vitamins are essential for healthy skin, ever wondered why stress (and diminished B complex levels) always shows on your face?
- If you are fatigued and stressed, if you’re feeling nervous and forgetful, suffering from mouth ulcers, cracked lip corners, a sore red tongue or poor skin condition – you may need to up your B vitamin intake, as these are all deficiency symptoms.
Image / FreeDigitalPhotos.net – David Castillo Dominici