If you’re often tired after a long day at work, it can take a lot of effort to prepare and cook dinner at the end of the day. If you are well organised the night before and prep everything, you can just pop all your ingredients in a slow cooker before you head out the door in the morning and come home to a warm and ready meal. Here’s a quick to prepare Slow Cooker Chicken and Bacon recipe for those cool nights.
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist and author of The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook, Published by Penguin New Zealand. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 4 tblspns olive or coconut oil
– 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, sliced into bite-sized pieces
– 2 rashers smoked chemical free bacon diced
– 1 large onion quartered
– 4 roma tomatoes diced
– ½ cup each – sweet potato and zucchini diced
– 1 clove garlic crushed
– 2 carrots diced in 1cm (½ inch) chunks
– 2 sticks celery cut in 1cm (½ inch) slices
– 1 tblspn coconut flour or plain Gluten free flour
– 1 cup chicken stock
– ½ cup dry white wine (or ¼ coconut milk)
– 1 tblspn tomato paste
– 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
On a plate season the chicken with salt and pepper and rub over 1 tblspn of oil.
Heat 1 tblspn of oil in a large frypan and brown the chicken on all sides, about 2 minutes each side. Transfer to the slow cooker bowl.
Add 2 tbsp of oil to the frypan that the chicken was browned in and add the bacon, onion, garlic, sweet potato, zucchini, carrots and celery then gently fry, turning over for about 4 minutes.
Stir in the flour and mix into the vegetables and then gradually add the stock, stirring and then the wine, tomatoes, tomato paste and season.
Bring to the boil stirring continuously. Pour mixture over the chicken. Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
Image / Jimmy Boswell