Honey Lamb Skewers on Seasonal Salad
Easy to prepare and put together. I use raw honey in the marinade to give the lamb an irresistible caramelised crust. You can cook these skewers under the grill (broiler) as directed or in summer I fire up the BBQ.
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist and author of The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 1 lemon zested and lemon juice, squeezed into a large bowl
– 1 tblspn extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 tblspn raw honey (room temperature)
– 1 tblspn fresh marjoram, finely chopped
– 1/2 tspn dried thyme
– 800g boneless leg of Quality Mark lamb, cut into 25mm (1-inch) cubes
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper to season
– 4-6 skewers bamboo or metal
Heat oven grill. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil.
In the large bowl to which you have squeezed the lemon juice into, whisk together the zest, oil, honey, marjoram and thyme. Now add the lamb and stir well to combine. Marinate at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
Thread lamb evenly onto 4-6 skewers. If you are using bamboo ones soak the skewers for a good hour fully covered in water. Arrange the skewers on the foil lined pan. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the leftover marinade evenly over the top of the skewers.
Grill (broil) the lamb, turning once, for a total of about 6 minutes to cook to medium-rare.
To serve, prepare a seasonal fresh salad of choice in 4 separate bowls, remove the lamb from skewers and top each salad. I often serve this on a kale salad.
Image / Supplied