Chicken Sweet Potato Curry
This Chicken Sweet Potato Curry is a dish that I have been making for years. The sauce gives a wonderful, sweet zing in your mouth as you finish. I love the depth of flavour and depending on how I feel I adjust the chilli level to match my mood. Its a great winter warmer.
Recipe provided by New Zealand Gluten-Free Chef Jimmy Boswell, food writer, chef, food stylist and author of The New Zealand Gluten-Free Cookbook, Published by Penguin New Zealand. For more info on Jimmy, visit his Facebook page.
– 5 chicken thighs boneless, skinless
– 2 tblspns olive oil or coconut oil
– 2 medium onions quartered
– 2 garlic cloves crushed
– 1 lemongrass stem white part only, lightly bashed and thinly sliced
– 1 tspn ground turmeric
– 1 tspn curry powder
– ½-1 tspn chili powder (adjust to your taste)
– 2 cups sweet potato (kumara) cut into 2cm (3/4 inch) cubes
– 1 can coconut milk
– ½ cup water
– ½ cup chicken stock
– 1 tspn raw honey
– Handful fresh coriander (cilantro) finely chopped
– Additional optional vegetables
– ½ cup fresh green beans diced
– 1 medium/large carrot diced
Cut the chicken thighs into strips or chunks.
Heat the oil in a wok or large high-sided skillet on a medium-high heat and partially brown the chicken for about 1-2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add onion to the wok and fry for about 2 minutes or until translucent. Add a little more oil if the wok gets dry. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add the lemongrass and fry for another 30 seconds.
Add the turmeric, curry powder and chilli powder and fry for 1 minute to infuse the spices. Add the sweet potato (kumara), additional vegetables and honey. Stir well to combine then add the coconut milk, water, chicken stock (broth) and coriander (cilantro). Stir well to combine and bring to the boil. *
Once the curry is boiling add the chicken and then turn the heat down to low and cover. Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
Serve the curry in a bowl and garnish with additional coriander (cilantro).
* CROCKPOT OPTION: If you want to cook this in a crockpot, add to a warmed crockpot on high setting at this stage and cook till the sweet potato is cooked, about 3 hours.
Image / Jimmy Boswell