Book Review: Your Life – Train for It, Bear Grylls
Well-known adventurer and survivalist Bear Grylls has diversified into authoring a guide to achieving peak fitness through 30-minute express workouts.
Teaming up with his personal trainer, fitness coach Natalie Summers, they have combined their knowledge and experience to create a system of fast-paced, high intensity, dynamic workouts that can be done anywhere by anyone – men and women, young and old – in just 30 minutes or less.
What’s inside it?
Bear’s military training and mountaineering experience only helped him get so far when it came to building up his endurance and strength. When he began filming his survival television shows, he needed a more comprehensive form of training to help improve his fitness across multiple disciplines.
After taking the trial and error approach with a number of different fitness programmes, Bear began training with Natalie who takes a functional and core-based approach to exercise by working multiple parts of the body at once. The exercise sessions were performed in time intervals of hard training followed by a period of rest.
Bear and Natalie have harnessed her approach, involving the best of cardio, weight training, yoga and HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) based across three key disciplines:
– Kettlebell resistance training
– Bodyweight resistance training
– Flexibility training
In this book, you’ll find:
- Plenty of background information such as how to exercise safely, how to train effectively and goal setting
- An exercise library showcasing each exercise with great how-to images, variations and tips
- Warm ups, cool down and workout combinations of the exercises from the library
- Some basic nutrition and recovery advice
- Tracking ideas to help you monitor progress
Read it if…
You are keen for an intense workout that will train your entire body, work on your cardiovascular fitness and strength, and doesn’t require much equipment.
Image / Random House